Join AJWS on Capitol Hill
Join AJWS supporters from around the nation for a three-day conference in Washington, D.C. By building together and acting together, we will demand that our Senators and U.S. Representatives do everything in their power to end the epidemic of violence and hate against women, girls and LGBT people worldwide. We’ll lobby on Capitol Hill. We’ll hear from champions of women’s rights. We’ll receive training to make our activism more powerful at home. And we’ll build friendships with like-minded AJWS supporters from around the country.
Transportation Options to Washington, D.C.
Suggested: Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)
Alternate airports (more limited ground transportation): Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI), Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
Train: Amtrak to Washington Union Station (WAS).
Note: People will be taking photographs for social media and other public use throughout the Summit.
Dress for Washington Court Hotel events:
We encourage participants to wear business casual for our time at the Washington Court Hotel. Our Summit program will include guest speakers and opportunities to engage and learn together.
Dress for Capitol Hill meetings:
Advocates on Capitol Hill dress formally, so plan on wearing formal business attire for Wednesday’s meetings on the Hill. We encourage bringing comfortable shoes because your meeting schedule will likely include walking between the House and Senate sides.
- “Pass the International Violence Against Women Act (IVAWA).” Factsheet.
- “As We Celebrate International Women’s Day, A Call to Action.” Op-ed.
- “Confront Prejudice, Speak Out Against Violence, Secretary-General Says at Event on Ending Sanctions Based on Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity.” Remarks.
- “International Initiatives to Advance the Human Rights of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Persons.” Presidential memorandum.
- “Tips for a Successful Meeting with Your Member of Congress.” Factsheet.
- “How a Bill Becomes a Law.” Factsheet.
- Here I am Standing Before You, Hineini
A poem by the AJWS community at the inaugural AJWS Policy Summit, 2014
- “H. R. 3571 – International Violence Against Women Act of 2013.”
- “United States Strategy to Prevent and Respond to Gender-Based Violence Globally.” USAID Factsheet.
- “Ugandan Leader Signs Harsh Anti-Gay Bill, Ignores Warning from Obama.” The Washington Post, February 24, 2014
- “International Human Rights Law and Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity.” United Nations Factsheet.
- “How Our Laws Are Made.” Infographic.
Are You Ready for the AJWS Policy Summit? Take the Quiz!
Support for AJWS and We Believe by Members of Congress
“We Believe is something that struck me when I first heard about it.”
—Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-IL)
“I can’t tell you how inspired I am by you and by what AJWS does.”
—Rep. Ted Deutch (D-FL)
“No one should be targeted with such brutality because of their sexual orientation or gender identity.”
—Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-NY)
“What you’re doing is critical and I hope to get involved with it.”
—Rep. Susan Davis (D-CA)
“This campaign is an answer to the demand for help.”
—Rep. David Cicilline (D-RI)
Registration Price: $225 for full Summit; $110 for May 12th gala dinner only
The registration deadline is April 30, 2015
Scholarship applicants should wait to register and pay for the conference until after they have been notified whether or not they are receiving a scholarship. To apply for a scholarship, click here.
E-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule Coming Soon; view the schedule for 2014 Summit here.